Barnabas Lams (1995)
University of Bristol (1986 −1989) BA (Hons)
Barnabas specialises in immigration and asylum law and related areas and has extensive experience in the First Tier and Upper Tribunals, with onward appeals to the Court of Appeal. He regularly undertakes judicial review applications in the High Court and Upper Tribunal. He has also advised local authorities and family law solicitors on immigration problems, particularly those relating to children.
Barnabas has experience in terrorism and national security cases and represented an Iraqi national in 'control order' (house arrest) proceedings under the Prevention of Terrorism Act in a successful challenge in JJ and others in the House of Lords. More recently he represented in AHK v SSHD a lead case on the refusal to grant naturalisation on national security grounds and in XH v SSHD a lead case concerning the confiscation of passports on national security grounds, where the Court made a declaration under s.6 of the Justice and Security Act 2013 permitting the use closed material. He is also representing in an old control order case, SSHD v AL, which is ongoing.
- XH v Secretary Of State For The Home Department  EWHC 2932 (Admin): High Court decides whether to make a declaration under section 6 of the Justice and Security Act 2013 permitting a closed material procedure.
- R (on the application of Shabani) v Secretary of State for the Home Department (Legacy – residence – SOS's limited duty)IJR  UKUT 00403 (IAC): a 'legacy' case in the Upper Tribunal.
- R (on the application of (1) AHK (2) AM (3) AS (4) FM) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWCA Civ 151: Court of Appeal considers whether national security JR's should be stayed pending appeals to SIAC
- (1) AHK (2) AM (3) AS (4) FM v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 1426 (Admin) : a lead concerning disclosure requirements in the context of refusal of citizenship on grounds of good character, in which the High Court rules that the public interest immunity process is not incompatible with Art.8 and 10 ECHR.
- R (On the Application of Thiam) v Secretary Of State For The Home Department  EWHC 2127 (Admin): High court considers a fresh claim challenge in an FGM case.
- R (On the application of Kussin) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 358 (Admin): High court considers a fresh claim challenge in Art.8 ECHR family life case.
- TG (Central African Republic) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWCA Civ 602: Court of Appeal remits Art.8 'Chikwamba' case.
- JJ v Secretary of State  1 AC 385 (HL): A successful challenge in the House of Lords under the Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005, in the first case on control orders (indefinite house arrest) to reach the House.
- JJ and others v SSHD  EWCA Civ 1141;  EWHC 1623: a control order case under the Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005.
- PM and Others (Kabul - Hizb-i-Islami) Afghanistan CG  UKAIT 00089: a Tribunal Country Guidance case.
- MG (Christians, including Coptic Christians) Sudan CG  UKAIT 00047: a Tribunal Country Guidance case.
- AA (Exclusion clause) Palestine  UKIAT 00104: a Tribunal reported case.
- AB (Witness corroboration in asylum appeals) Somalia  UKIAT 00125: A Tribunal reported case.
- BA (Perceived bias − Israel − Gaza) Israel  UKIAT 00118 − A Tribunal reported case, subsequently remitted by the Court of Appeal.
- Immigration Law Practitioners Association