Cynthia McFarlane (2003)
Crime, Commercial & Contractual Disputes, Family, Personal Injury, Professional & Clinical Negligence, Property Litigation, Mediation Services
Cynthia is particularly favoured by both the professional and lay client for her approachability and her ability to effectively communicate or relay complex legal issues and/or procedures. Cynthia has a diverse history of experience. Not only does Cynthia possess academic and vocational skills essential to the English Bar but has acquired academic, vocational and practical knowledge of other common law and civil law jurisdictions.
Cynthia is an accredited mediator in all areas of law. She is also qualified to accept direct access instructions.
LLB Hons Law with French Law, Upper Second Class Degree (2:1), Diplômes d’Etudes Juridiques Françaises, Français Langue Etrangère (Kingston University and Lyon III, Université de Jean Moulin).
Bar Vocational Course, BPP Law School.
Alternative Dispute Resolution, Regents University.
Benefactors Scholarship of the Middle Temple and Blackstone Entrance Exhibition.
Cynthia has prosecuted and defended in most areas of crime. Her range has included sexual offences, organized crime, blackmail, fraud, conspiracies and murder.
She is also on the approved list as an Assistant to Counsel for the International Criminal Court, The Hague, The Netherlands.
- R v IG (2015) Croydon CC, prosecuting in an appeal against assault
- R v LU & Others (2015) Inner London CC, defending a robbery case, leading to an acquittal
- R v RV & Others (2015) Croydon CC, burglary case - most of the counts, which included burglary, were dismissed after a submission of no case. The less serious charge resulted in a conditional discharge only
- R v LDR (2015) Aylesbury Crown Court, defending an appeal against the local authority in relation to a closure notice
- R v Musa and others  2 Cr App R (S) 99: defending an international conspiracy to commit forgery unearthing the largest passport factory to date – acquittal
- R v Fletcher and another 2011 EWCA Crim 1096: aggravated burglary, successful appeal against sentence
- R v Bull 2010 EWCA 2542: distraction burglary
Other notable cases:
- R v BP (2014) Court of Appeal: successful appeal against sentence relating to historical sexual offences
- R v SJ (Murder) (2011) Central Criminal Court: defending an elderly man suffering from dementia who was unfit to plead
- R v CG and others (2010) Croydon Crown Court: conspiracy to supply £1/4million pounds of cocaine at 100% purity - acquittal
Cynthia appears for both claimants and defendants. Her range has included contract, tort and personal injury.
- Santander v R (Central London County Court): successfully defending a solicitor’s firm in a professional negligence claim
- R v B (Oxford County Court): successful in the defence and counterclaim in a multi-track claim against a millionaire
- M v Admiral Insurance (and others): a serious multi-track road traffic dispute involving many claimants and defendants concerning unusual complex and sensitive issues of both fact and law
Cynthia’s range has included private law, public law and financial proceedings after divorce (domestic and international).
- London Borough of Lambeth (Re MF): care proceedings involving sexual abuse and non-accidental injury
What Others Say
- “Cynthia has worked on a number of cases with me and I have found her work exceptional. She is a confident and down to earth person and is knowledgeable in her areas of specialism” (Toyin Onanuga, Solicitor at Pini Franco).
- “In the long time I have known Cynthia (over 10 years), I have instructed her on a number of my Family Law cases and she has consistently performed to a very high standard. She is professional, conscientious and has the rare ability to be able to relate to a wide range of clients. As such, I would highly recommend Cynthia and her work” (Dipal Patel, Solicitor at Richardson).
- “Cynthia was always helpful, motivated and achieved great results” (Jon Wilson, Legal Executive at Dawson Hart).
Cynthia is a mentor for Kingston University’s Beyond Barriers Mentorship Scheme.
Cynthia volunteers for the homeless charity, Crisis each year.