The secure CJSM email is:
Ishan is a leading criminal law specialist with particular expertise in financial crime, drug trafficking and violence. He defends exclusively and is committed to upholding human rights and civil liberties and to combating social injustice.
He is known for his fearless courtroom advocacy and outstanding client care. He has developed a reputation for tenacious and robust cross-examination coupled with engaging and persuasive closing speeches. He has been praised by opponents and judges alike for his precise and well-reasoned legal arguments.
Ishan’s commitment to battling social injustice has seen him expand his practice both in the UK and abroad.
He is also regularly instructed in matters of immigration and asylum, and landlord and tenant disputes.
Ishan has advised companies and charitable entities all over the world (including India, Tanzania, Mexico, Colombia and Panama) on a range of topics including integrity compliance, anti-bribery and corruption and international human rights.
- R v A – successful defence of a defendant charged with the production of over two million pounds’ worth of class A drugs. This case was described as “an industrial size, class A drug operation producing millions of pounds worth of drugs, hidden in plain sight in the heart of London”.
- R v O – this was a gang related stabbing which took place outside Plumstead train station. This case attracted much local and national press. The defendant, a youth, was unanimously acquitted of all charges following a three week trial at Woolwich Crown Court.
- R v H – a gang related s18 GBH involving eight defendants and allegations of police corruption.
- R v A – the successful defence of a youth charged with five counts of murder. The case involved gang related violence committed over a 15 month period in East London. All charges were dismissed following legal argument.
- R v J – this is an ongoing case involving allegations of large scale money laundering via the “dark web” and the use of the “BitCoin” and “Blockchain” platforms to dissipate and launder the proceeds of crime.
- R v M – an especially sensitive and complicated murder involving rival gangs, vulnerable youth defendants and four different areas of expert evidence.
- R v R – one of the largest VAT and tax frauds in history involving the use of over 1000 false identities and over £3 million worth of false self assessment claims.
- R v A – a large scale benefit fraud involving a lengthy and systematic attack on the benefit system. This case involved over 25 Defendants who were alleged to have defrauded the benefit system of a sum in excess of £1.5 million.
- R v P – a conspiracy to rob involving over 50 street robberies in the North London area spanning a period of two years.
- R v H – gang related GBH involving 8 defendants and allegations of police corruption.
- R v K – an extremely complex and sensitive GBH involving a brother accused of attacking his sister with a knife.
Immigration & asylum
Ishan’s practice comprises of work at the First-tier Tribunal as well as the Upper Tribunal.
He is regularly instructed to draft grounds for judicial review and appear in the High Court and the Court of Appeal for both permission and substantive hearings
Ishan has considerable expertise in all forms of landlord and tenant disputes having worked for a large property company prior to commencing pupillage.
Since commencing practice he has had successful conduct of a range of property disputes both in the High Court, the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal and the Lands Tribunal.
He has particular expertise in the following areas: assured shorthold tenancies, disrepair, service charge disputes, leasehold extension and enfranchisement, regulatory offences under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, boundary disputes and leases.
- Fluent – Gujarati, Hindi
- Conversational – French, Spanish, Portuguese
- Basic – Swahili
Hobbies & interests
Surfing, snowboarding, motorbikes, guitar and travel.