The secure CJSM email is:
Leading crime junior, Jose Olivares-Chandler, noted as “well-prepared and skilful in his advocacy.”Legal 500, 2016
Jose is recognised as leading junior by the Legal 500 and is head of the crime team at 1MCB. He defends and prosecutes in criminal cases involving the most serious allegations including offences of violence, sexual offences (including rape and sex trafficking), firearms offences, drugs offences, fraud and confiscation proceedings. He is an expert trial advocate who goes the extra mile for his clients. He is particularly well regarded by both defence firms and the CPS for his representation in serious and high-profile sexual offence trials. He is duty accredited, a grade 3 prosecutor and on the prosecution rape panel.
Solicitation to murder:
- R v N (2014, Central Criminal Court) – Sole defence advocate representing a defendant who was accused of trying to pay someone to kill his wife – acquitted on both counts.
- R v S (2011, Blackfriars Crown Court) – Sole defence advocate representing an 18 year old in a gang-related attempted murder trial – acquitted of attempted murder, convicted of GBH with intent in the alternative.
- R v S & others (2014, Guildford Crown Court) – Defence advocate representing a defendant on a multi-handed multi-count kidnap indictment – prosecution offered no evidence on the first day of trial following defence representations.
Section 18 GBH:
- R v J & others (2017, Hove Crown Court) – Currently instructed as defence counsel in a 3 week, multi-handed, multi-account s18 GBH and affray trial where one of the complainants suffered brain injuries;
- R v S (2016, Central Criminal Court) – Prosecution counsel in a hate crime trial where the defendant targeted a lesbian victim – convicted even though the jury heard evidence of the prosecution witnesses colluding;
- R v S (2007, Isleworth Crown Court) – Sole defence advocate in a GBH with intent trial – acquitted.
- R v O & another (2012, Isleworth Crown Court) – Defence advocate in 2-week two-handed multi-count child cruelty and immigration offences trial – convicted of immigration matters but acquitted of child cruelty count.
Rape and historical sexual abuse:
- R v M (2017, Inner London Crown Court) – Defence counsel in rape case where Crown alleged that the complainant was incapacitated – acquitted;
- R v C-Q (2017, Inner London Crown Court) – Defence counsel in a historical sexual child abuse trial where the defendant admitted his guilt to the victim’s parents on the day after the offence – convicted;
- R v C (2017, Isleworth Crown Court) – Defence counsel in trial where defendant was accused of vaginal and anal rape – acquitted on vaginal rape count;
- R v K & another (2016, Woolwich Crown Court) – Defence counsel in multi-handed, multi-count trial representing a youth who was accused of being involved in the gang-rape of a fellow 16 year old – acquitted;
- R v S (2016, Wood Green Crown Court) – Prosecution counsel in rape trial concerning a defendant and a complainant who resided in the same hostel – defendant was acquitted;
- R v A (2016, Isleworth Crown Court) – Sole defence advocate in a stranger rape trial where the Defendant was accused of kidnapping, raping and whipping a 49-year-old married mother of two children;
- R v S (2016, Snaresbrook Crown Court) – Sole defence counsel on a historical sexual abuse trial where the defendant was accused of abusing his younger female cousin when they were both children – hung jury and then acquitted at retrial;
- R v L (2015, Isleworth Crown Court) – Prosecution counsel in a historical sexual abuse trial where the victim’s father was accused of abusing his daughter when she was a child – convicted at the re-trial;
- R v A (2015, Guildford Crown Court)– Sole defence advocate in a 2-week historical rape case – acquitted of 12 out of 13 counts;
- R v S (2015, Isleworth Crown Court)– Defence advocate in a case where the defendant was accused of raping and robbing men he had met on gay dating sites – prosecution offered no evidence;
- R v L (2007, Harrow Crown Court) – Sole defence advocate in an 8-day rape case – acquitted.
R v A (2016, Isleworth Crown Court) – Defence leader in a 5-week multi-count trial involving an allegation of trafficking 40 Nigerian boys and girls for prostitution who were put through black magic “juju” rituals before being brought into the UK;
R v E & another (2015, Harrow Crown Court) – Defence advocate in 4-week multi-handed trial involving an allegation of trafficking Nigerian girls for prostitution who were put through black magic “juju” rituals before being brought into the UK – acquitted on all 17 counts;
R v D & others (2005, Middlesex Guildhall) – Junior defence counsel in a 3-week multi-handed trial involving an allegation of trafficking Lithuanian girls for prostitution.
Child abuse images:
R v D (2015, Harrow Crown Court) – Defence advocate representing a defendant on a multi-count indictment relating to indecent images of children and extreme pornography – prosecution offered no evidence on the first day of trial following defence representations.
R v J (2016, Wood Green Crown Court) – Sole defence advocate representing a defendant who was accused of hiding a gun at his ex-partner’s address – acquitted even though his children gave evidence against him;
R v K (2011, Isleworth Crown Court) – Sole defence advocate in a possession of an imitation firearm with intent trial where the police were threatened with a pistol.
R v I & others (2013, Woolwich Crown Court) – Defence advocate in a 3-week multi-handed trial involving cannabis dealing;
R v F (2012) – Jose successfully prosecuted a multi-count trial involving possession of Class A Drugs with intent;
R v C & another (2011, Southwark Crown Court) – Defence advocate in 3-week multi-handed multi-count conspiracy to import cocaine trial.
R v H & 8 others (2016, Isleworth Crown Court) – Sole defence advocate in a 3-week multi-handed fraud trial;
R v O (2011, Central Criminal Court) – Sole defence advocate in a multi-count ID fraud trial where the victims were companies in different jurisdictions – convicted on just one of the counts.
R v B (2015, Central Criminal Court) – Defence advocate in a multi-handed multi-count money laundering trial involving a global conspiracy – acquitted on all counts.
Environment Agency v J (2012, Reading Crown Court) – Sole defence advocate in a £6 million POCA case where Jose persuaded the prosecution to accept half the amount sought.
R v H (2007) – Prosecution counsel in a multi-count false accounting trial involving hundreds of pages of accounts and computer records.
R v G (2016, Colchester Military Court) – defended a Ghurkha in a court martial trial where he was accused of raping a female officer – acquitted.
LBC v Mortgage Times Group Ltd  EWHC (Admin) 1615, (2007) Env LR 4, (2006) NPC 78, Times 15/08/06 – reported case where Jose successfully defended an appeal by way of case stated in the High Court.
Jose sits on the Bar Mock Trials Working Party for the Citizenship Foundation.
LLB (Hons), UCL
Hobbies & interests
Running half-marathons for charity, socialising and salsa dancing.
This year Jose is running the Royal Parks half-marathon for Amnesty International. See Jose’s justgiving page.
- ‘London Borough of Camden v Mortgage Times Group Ltd – a wasted opportunity?’, published on Crimeline 2006;
- Three articles prepared for Lexis Nexis which appear on their website on R v Twist (Hearsay), R v Guthrie (jury tampering) and the Criminal Procedure Rules 2011.
Main speaker at the Legal Aid Conference 2006 and at the Law Society on evidence of bad character and hearsay (repeated at various solicitors’ firms).
- Advisor to Dragonfly TV productions (‘One born every minute’, ‘The Job Centre’, ‘The Hotel’) on a documentary series about members of the public sitting on a mock murder trial;
- Advisor to CBBC on the second series of ‘All Over the Workplace’ (which takes children aged 8-13 from around the UK and gives them the opportunity to try out their dream jobs) in relation to criminal courts.
- CPS Advocates Panel, grade 3
- CPS Rape Panel