The secure CJSM email is:
Louise is an employment law specialist who has developed a broad practice covering all aspects of employment law. She is regularly instructed in various aspects of employment litigation including all forms of discrimination, whistle blowing claims, TUPE matters, constructive/unfair dismissal and redundancy. She is also experienced in employment-related international administrative law matters.
Employment & discrimination
Louise is very down-to-earth, and an excellent communicator who provides a very high standard of client care. She is noted by instructing solicitors as having an excellent rapport with judges and lay members, and being extremely client-friendly. During the course of her career at the Bar, Louise has acted for both claimants and respondents, including clients as diverse as cleaners, bus drivers, surgeons, European royalty (including a conference with the client in another language), international institutions not subject to the jurisdiction of English law, large telecommunications companies and a large number of local authorities.
Before joining chambers in August 2016, Louise took a break from the Bar and worked as Head of Employment at Prolegal Solicitors. As a result of this experience, she is particularly sensitive to the needs of instructing solicitors.
Louise is currently involved in a number of EAT appeals:
- Swissport v Exley & Ors – A recent “category A” appeal to determine the application and scope of costs orders in cases funded by way of damages based agreements. Louise acted on behalf of the 8 respondents and judgment is expected in mid 2017;
- Brown & Ors v London General Transport Services Ltd & Or – Louise and Paras Gorasia of 1MCB Chambers successfully acted for approximately 50 London bus drivers in an appeal concerning non-payment of allowances following a TUPE transfer;
- Tabberer & Ors v Mears Ltd – Louise is acting on behalf of a number of electricians in respect of non-payment of a contractual allowance following a TUPE transfer, on a date to be listed.
Louise is a member of the Employment Law Appeal Advisory Service and the Employment Tribunal Litigant in Person Support Scheme (ELIPS).
- LL.B – University of Edinburgh (Scots Law)
- LL.M European and Comparative Law – University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
- CPE – London Metropolitan University
- BVC – Inns of Court School of Law
- Lockerbie Scholarship – Fully funded scholarship awarded by Local Authority to spend a year at Syracuse University, USA
- Hardwicke Scholarship – Lincoln’s Inn
Hobbies & interests
Louise is a frustrated musician who enjoys playing a range of instruments (not as well as she thinks she does). She also enjoys cooking, reading, walking and pub lunches. She is also an unashamed fan of Hull City FC.
- ‘Sexual Harassment in the Workplace’ – HR Review
- ‘Changes to the TUPE Regime 2014’ – Real Business
Louise has previously conducted a large number of seminars and mock tribunals. She has also acted as advocacy trainer for the Employment Lawyers Association and the University of Law.