The secure CJSM email is:
Rafaquat has a broad based common law practice including contractual disputes, matrimonial disputes including trusts, landlord and tenant, insolvency and immigration/human rights.
Immigration & asylum
Rafaquat has considerable experience in the field of immigration, asylum and nationality law. His work involves raising asylum, humanitarian protection and family reunion issues involving both domestic and EU Regulations relating to the rights of EU workers and their family members. His work includes cases in the First Tier and Upper Tribunals, Judicial Review work, both in the Upper Tribunal and the Administrative Court, and cases in the Court of Appeal.
- R v ECO (2014) – HO cancelling curtailment of leave to deny right of appeal. Appeal successful;
- B v SSHD (2015) – Appeal successful under Article 8 despite being unable to meet language requirement under the Immigration rules and new stricter statutory requirements;
- E v SSHD (2010) – Appeal relating to EEA Residence card following marriage by Proxy. Appeal successful;
- K v SSHD (2015) – Appeal successful as stateless person from Bangladesh as stranded Pakistani after 1971 war.
Rafaquat’s practice covers all areas of family law, including matrimonial finance, TOLATA applications and matters relating to the Children Act 1989. Rafaquat has had a particular focus on disputes relating to recognition of overseas marriages and/or divorces and their impact on financial remedy claims and Child Arrangement Orders Applications.
- P v P (2007) – setting aside charging orders placed by Husband to defeat wife’s financial claim;
- O v O (2010) – Jurisdiction issues and refusal to recognize overseas Nigerian Customary Divorce.
- BA(Hons) in Economics – University of Central Lancashire, Preston
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law (CPE) – University of Central Lancashire, Preston
- Bar Vocational Course – Inns of Court School of Law, London
Jules Thorn Scholarship, The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
- Tribunal Judge – Asylum Support Tribunal (since 2006)
- Tribunal Judge – Social Security Appeal Tribunal (since 2009)
- Tribunal Judge – Immigration and Asylum Tribunal (since 2014)